In Russia, a case of a woman’s death was recorded after lidocaine was injected under her skin. The woman was being prepared for surgery and needed local anesthesia. After the death was recorded (attempts to save the woman were unsuccessful), it was decided to conduct an investigation. Let’s see how lidocaine dangerous to humans.
Lidocaine is actively used for local anesthesia as medication for nerve pain. It also has an antiarrhythmic effect and dilates blood vessels. It is most often used:
- in dentistry
- for pain relief in case of trauma
- during surgical procedures, including caesarean section, anesthesia of labor
- during painful diagnostic procedures
- for surface anesthesia
- for intercostal blockage
- intravenous anesthesia
- spinal anesthesia, etc.
The root of the problem is that a woman died, spoke of in the beginning, it was made a test of sensitivity to lidocaine. After the test for sensitivity to lidocaine are watching the response of the patient. If you will experience swelling, or other allergic reaction, the introduction of a full dose of lidocaine contraindicated. You should use another pain medication.
What other side effects does lidocaine cause?
Even if a person is not allergic to lidocaine, an overdose can cause certain side effects that you should be aware of.
- From an overdose, a person may experience euphoria.
- Also, a person may experience weakness, drowsiness.
- Not infrequently, when the patient had a headache or dizziness with disorientation.
- Overdose can cause a decrease in blood pressure, which provokes chest pain and even convulsions in a person.
- A person may start to feel sick. He may also begin to experience heat and cold (sensations may vary).
- Possible appearance of skin rashes.
- Anaphylactic shock and other side effects are also possible.
In case of overdose, appropriate measures should be taken and the patient should be monitored. The patient is not left alone until his condition is normalized.
What are the contraindications for the use of the drug?
Lidocaine is not recommended for use in:
- severe bleeding of any nature
- shock, epileptic seizures and insanity
- severe hepatic and / or renal insufficiency
- in glaucoma, it is also forbidden to administer this medication
- As we have already emphasized above, lidocaine causes a drop in blood pressure, and can also cause bradycardia. Therefore, in patients with heart failure, the administration of lidocaine is deadly.
- pregnant women and those who are breastfeeding should also be included in the list of those who can not be administered lidocaine
- if you are over 65 years.