If you are concerned about the quality of tap water in your region, you have every right to be. There is enough evidence that the standards for tap water have dropped all over the world, including the U.S. The fact is that our rivers, streams and water tables are contaminated with all types of bacteria and chemicals.
Municipalities chlorinate the water, and in some regions they also fluoridate it. Chlorination is meant to kill off bacteria in the water, but it is a harmful substance and gives water a terrible taste. It doesn’t help to exercise, eat healthily and then to go on and drink water that is of questionable quality.
There is the option of buying bottled water, but it is costly, especially if you have a family. The other drawbacks to bottled water are the carrying and the waste of plastic. Since most of us are more environmentally conscious than ever before, this is not an option.
Water filtration and purification is the best solution to the problem. There are many systems available on the market, but most of them just offer filtration – except for one.
The Berkey Water System
There is one system out there that is a powerhouse. It offers filtration while it also purifies water. It does not require electricity or water pressure since it uses gravity. Through two or more filters, known as Black Berkeys, your tap water will be purified of 99.99% of the following:
- pathogenic bacteria
- heavy metals (mercury, chromium, aluminum, etc.)
- chloride and chlorine
- pharmaceutical drugs that find themselves into the water system
- pesticides and herbicides
- petroleum products
An added bonus of the Berkey Water System is that it does not remove beneficial natural minerals from water. All foul tastes and odors are removed.
The pros of becoming the owner of a Berkey Water System:
- Since it filters and purifies it offers peace of mind.
- The stainless steel units are attractive and look good on top of any counter or table in your home.
- The Black Berkey filters can be cleaned and re-used, giving you up to 3,000 gallons of water each.
- The whole system is designed to create as little plastic waste as possible.
- There is a noticeable difference in the taste of the water and the evidence is in the sludge that the filters collect.
- All that has to be done is to fill the top canister with water, and the filters then do the rest of the work.
- Once the water collects in the bottom canister, the purified water is easy to dispense into a glass or jug because of the spigot.
- The cost of each gallon of water is 2 cents.
- If there is fluoride present in the water of an area or concerns for arsenic then PF filters are available to add to the system. This raises the cost to 7cents per gallon which is still very reasonable.
Berkey Water Filter Models
Travel Berkey: This is ideal for small families consisting of up to3 people and holds 1.5 gallons of water.
Big Berkey: A popular size because it is suitable for up to 4 people and holds 2.25 gallons of water.
Berkey Light: All the models are portable, but this is the lightest one of all because unlike the other models in the range it is not made of stainless steel. It holds 2.75 gallons of water and is ideal for up to 6 people.
Royal Berkey: This model is popular with large families and is perfect for up to 6 people. It can hold 3.25 gallons of water.
Imperial Berkey: Extra large in size, this Berkey is suitable for up to 10m people and holds 4.5 gallons of water.
Crown Berkey: The largest model in the range holds 6 gallons of water and is suitable for 12+ people.
Tip: All Berkey models come with two Black Berkey Filters and the water will flow slowly through the system as the filters do their work. The larger models can take more than two filters, with the biggest one holding eight. If a faster flow rate is needed then all that needs be done is to add more filters to the system.
The Berkey Water System provides you with peace of mind!